Lambert Anderson (pictured)
Founded in 1911 by Lambert
Anderson, a local McPherson farmer, McPherson Concrete has grown
to be one of the largest builders of commercial grain structures
in the Midwest. Mr. Anderson wanted to build a silo for his farm
and noticed that the wooden silos did not last to his
satisfaction. Designing his own molds, Lambert started casting
his own concrete silo staves...one at a time. Once Lambert's
silo was completed, his neighbors asked if would build one for
them. A new business was born!
A few years later, Mr. Anderson moved his business into
McPherson to automate the stave making and silo construction
processes. recognizing the viability of round concrete pipe in
the 1920's, Mr. Anderson began manufacturing this new product.
The first joints of round concrete pipe
were wet-cast with the
concrete mixed by hand. By the mid 1950's, Lambert's son Chester
began to seek a way to produce concrete pipe faster and cheaper.
He discovered a German process that was unsurpassed in
durability and strength and shortly thereafter McPherson
concrete became one of the first US companies to produce
concrete pipe using the dry-cast method. In 1960 the first
packer-head machine was installed producing the first of
thousands of feet of high-quality, dry-cast concrete pipe.
Mr. Anderson did not stop with silos and concrete pipe
innovations. He continued to pursue innovations in concrete
blocks, burial vaults, and mausoleum covers. This dedication to
the process of innovation is still alive today!
With his father's health failing in the 1940's, Chet assumed the
day-to-day operation of the company. By the end of World War II
ready-mixed concrete was starting to be produced in Wichita.
Buying his first used, two-yard paddle mixer truck, Chet began
manufacturing and delivering ready-mixed concrete. This was a
revolutionary concept as concrete was always mixed at the job
site prior to ready-mixed technology. More than fifty years
later, our fleet of trucks continue to deliver concrete from our
plants in Lindsborg and McPherson.
The company grew and prospered under Chet's guidance with
innovative products such as risers, manholes, elliptical pipe,
end sections and box culverts added to the product line-up. This
offered towns and counties an innovative way to take care of
their construction needs and saved them both time and labor.
Chet's interests were not limited to innovations in concrete
however. In the late 1980's he saw a need for a housing
development and golf course in McPherson. Where others saw a
pasture, Chet saw an opportunity. Thus, Turkey Creek Golf Club
and Turkey Creek Development were born. Many new homes have been
built at Turkey Creek and golfers from all over the state play
this challenging 18-hole layout.
In 1989 McPherson Concrete acquired a competitor in Wichita and
began to build a new, state-of-the-art plant on the site now
known as Wichita Concrete Pipe. Christened in 1993, this plant
features a complete dry-cast , wet-cast batch plant and produces
a wide array of products for the Wichita area.
Chet is still active in the company as Chairman Emeritus and the
operation of McPherson Concrete has been taken over by his son
Chris. Serving as president since 1990, Chris is supported by a
capable team of veteran managers who keep McPherson Concrete
customer-focused and service-driven.