McPherson Concrete Companies has been nationally recognized for safety procedures and precautions. View our most recent awards and find out how we ensure the safety of our team today!Learn More
Wichita Concrete Pipe, Inc.Transforming Ordinary Roads Into Smart Roads
Precast concrete pavement slabs offer many advantages to traditional cast-in-place concrete pavement construction methods, including improved speed of construction, improved durability, improved quality control and quality assurance, improved safety and more. Wichita Concrete Pipe, Inc., a company within McPherson Concrete Companies, provides Smart Pavement™ slabs for Integrated Roadways.
How We Can Help
- Continuous and intermittent pavement construction replacement
- Mainline highway construction
- Intersection replacements
- Emergency repairs
What We Provide
Smart Pavement™ slabs are durable, precast concrete sections embedded with sensor and networking capabilities patented by Integrated Roadways to transform ordinary roads into networks for connected, electric and autonomous vehicles. Our engineering team, in conjunction with the Integrated Roadways team, can provide engineering, technical assistance and onsite installation services for an economical solution to your pavement project.
About the Smart Pavement™ System
“Smart Pavement” refers to precast roadway paving slabs that have been engineered and built to support a wide range of 21st-century IT-enabled features, making them “smart” in the process. Wichita Concrete Pipe, Inc. participated in the design and production of the first Smart Pavement™ slabs for the Brighton Boulevard project in Denver, Colorado.
- Improved speed of construction
- Improved durability
- Improved quality control and quality assurance
- Improved safety
- Shorter lane closures
- Less traffic interruption
- Longer life
- Reduced maintenance requirements
- All-weather construction
- Modular, prefabricated and offsite construction capabilities
- Removable for utility access and replaceable post-service
Precast pavement is made to match one or more lanes of pavement with varying lengths. Pavement slabs are designed to fit the existing site without modifying the surrounding pavement.
According to Integrated Roadways:
- Smart Pavement™ precast concrete technology lasts four times longer than traditional asphalt construction. It is 95 percent less costly to install versus traditional highway construction and up to 80 percent less in the total cost of ownership.
- The digital technology that connects vehicles to the internet and provides real-time information to public owners and other stakeholders about traffic, road conditions and collisions is accessible and upgradeable.
- Sensors in the pavement can “feel” the positions, weights and velocity of every vehicle on the road, providing superior navigation and telemetry for Level 4 autonomous vehicles and capturing valuable traffic and usage data.
- The technology in the Smart Pavement™ modular system is completely upgradable, making it easy to add new features, and each slab is easily removable for repair or to access underlying utilities for service.
- Smart Pavement™ roadways pay for themselves through leasing agreements with private sector partners. The Smart Pavement™/Smart Road digital platform will generate recurring revenue from private party app development, just like today’s smartphones and tablets.
- Snow and ice melt functionality
- Wireless charging for electric vehicles
- Wi-Fi, 4G, 5G, Bluetooth, TPMS, DSRC, and V2Xwireless communications capabilities
- Edge networking with at-the-edge ITS integration capabilities, simplifying and streamlining TMS, TOC, and TSMO operations and services
- Traffic data collection and analytics services for the owner, local businesses, and real estate development requirements
- Automated Traffic Signal Performance Management capabilities
- Automated Pavement Condition Indexing and Subgrade Condition Indexing
- Weigh-in-Motion capabilities, reporting and related services
- Augmented positioning, navigation and telemetry for automated and autonomous vehicle services
Feature Project: In-Road EV Charging Network
Early in 2022, Integrated Roadways approached our team at McPherson Concrete Companies about an opportunity for a large auto manufacturer to develop an EV charging network. Our team was challenged to design, develop, and construct a working demonstration to show the in-road EV charging capabilities of our Smart Pavement, which provides fully wireless charging to an electric vehicle while in motion on the road!Play Video
Feature Article: Smart Pavement for Smart Cities
Our vice president of Precast Group and Business Development at McPherson Concrete Companies, Brad Werth, recently spoke with Precast Solutions Magazine about Integrated Roadways’ patented Smart Pavement and how our team continues to chart new technology territory through testing and retesting. Check out the Summer 2022 edition of Precast Solutions Magazine to learn more!Read Article (Pages 8-13)
Request a Quote
For more information about Smart Pavement™ slabs and to request a project quote, you may contact Wichita Concrete Pipe, Inc. at (316) 838-8651, contact Integrated Roadways at (816) 645-9444 or complete an online form.Online Quote Request